Dear Sky Steward: I normally do not wish to carry on long conversations with strangers sitting next to me when I am flying. Is that considered rude? Thanks, Mute in Michigan
Dear M.M.: The Sky Steward understands how you feel, but he wants to give you some food for thought. Firstly, it is always impolite to completely ignore someone when they arrive at your row. A polite hello or good morning etc. is the minimum that should be offered as a greeting. After that, it is completely acceptable to refrain from engaging in additional conversation. He would caution however that you could be missing out on some very interesting conversation and/or meaningful networking opportunities in some cases. Think of it as using dead flight time as a great networking event (unless you have a presentation due at the end of your flight)! You have to weigh your desire for solitude with your openness to the possibilities. The Sky Steward suggests you request a cocktail from the flight attendant, maybe that will loosen you up a bit. It worked for him the last time!












3 comments:
thanks for the heads up.
I hate when somebody tells me that I am mute. But I am not. And so I always encourage myself to say hi to people around me. Even though I often find myself out of place because I am waving to someone whom I don't know (or a complete stranger)
Normally, if I have no intentions in having a conversation with the guy next to me during a flight, I would just answer his questions with a simple word or two. It might come across as rude, but at least normally you'd manage to keep their mouth shut :)
Post a Comment